Wednesday, December 08, 2010

the 85% stretch

I'm in the long home stretch now for my shawl. It's coming out beautifully, and I'm very happy with it, but this point, when I'm about 85% done or so, is always the hardest part of a project for me.


The excitement has dissipated. The rows are interminably long. Progress is hard to see, with so many stitches crammed onto the needle. This is when I usually abandon projects for something new, never to come back to them to finish. Honestly, I can't tell you how many 85% projects I have hanging around in my stash! Just last month, I stalled on an 85% pair of mittens (probably only 2 hours to finishing, and boy could I use them now!), and I paused on another 85% shawl in order to start this green beauty.


Come to think of it, this is probably a broader pattern in my life. Actually, in writing this, I'm procrastinating on an 85% paper I'm struggling to revise. And I just got distracted from this 85% blog post and went to check email for a while ... ha!

7 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

LOL!! That's hilarious! I'm a big one on finishing, but I struggle in teh pre-plannign process. I have to be REALLY invested to cast on apparently. Wanna hook up??? hehe!

Turtle said...

i have always been known to be a finisher... somewhere during the past year i noticed a bunch of wip's piling up. I am so now trying to be good and finish at least 2 projects for every new one.... it's not so bad but...lol, must motivate somehow!

Rebecca said...

I finish my knitting projects, but I have lots of 85% sewing done --- and oh, the number of 85% books I have not finished reading. And I just finished reading the last 15% of those student papers I started yesterday --- some of which did seem like the students stopped at 85% done. LOL. .

Spiminarian said...

I'm not great at finishing things, either. I usually stop around 90-95%...right now I have a baby sweater that needs its armpits sewn up. I also have a sweater that's been sitting in a bag for a year and a half waiting for me to stitch the pieces together. Finishing sucks.

Amybel said...

You're funny, but admitting that you're an 85% person is half the battle! We'd love to see the shawl finished, if that's any motivation :)

kathy b said...

you are funny. 85% is so close to done!! Go for it

Anonymous said...

Chuckle, chuckle. Oh, I could be your 75% friend. I start a project and am so excited about it. I knit and knit and knit, ho-hum, ooooh look at that new yarn, or pattern, well, I really need to do that. You can see where this is going, but oh I love to do the knitting, and your shawl is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the finished green beauty.