Monday, April 26, 2010

homemade heating pad

The thing I like best about sewing is that the results are so immediate and functional. Take this project: a heating pad and cover in a simple, natural, cotton muslin.


I've been dealing with a hurt muscle that needs some heat to unknot it. I sketched out an idea for a heating pad. Swung by the fabric store for some unbleached cotton muslin and the natural foods store for some bulk brown rice. Ironed, measured, sewed, filled, and stencilled.


And in an evening, I crafted myself the perfect heating pad. I can heat it up in the microwave in just a minute or two. It's just the size I wanted. It has an earthy, nutty smell when I've heated it up. It soothes my sore muscles and makes me happy.


And it happens to perfectly match the vase of mint that I've had on the windowsill. I love it when small things fit.

5 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I love it! How beautiful! I can't wait to own my own sewing machine so I can do stuff like this too. :)

Acorn to Oak said...

What a great idea. I love how it turned out. I hope your muscles are feeling better. :-)

Turtle said...

looks great, love the leaves as well. Have you ever tried buckwheat hulls and flax seed vs rice? they smell great and hold the heat nicely too .... or dried corn!

Karen said...

it's lovely!! would you consider writing up some directions for those of us that are sewing challenged? it would be so appreciated!

gayle said...

I have a cherry pit pillow that serves the same function. I wonder which would hold the heat better - the cherry pits or the rice. I'll have to make a rice bag and experiment!