Monday, October 17, 2011

golden cables

We were down in Cochise Stronghold, camping and climbing for the weekend, when I finished the knitting for Mountain Man's situpon. I stuck it on a barbed wire fence. It was magnificent in the morning sun, with the golden-green grass lighting up behind it!


The original situpon had an 8-stitch ribbed cable, which makes for a great fabric but is interminably slow and boring! For this one I did cables that were 6-stitches wide but twisted only every 8 rows. Still boring, but marginally faster without the ribbing. And I like the big, lush cables that result.


Here's what the camping scene looks like, by the way. This was just as I was finishing .... knitting by the morning campfire ... drinking coffee and keeping the strong, slanting morning sun out of my eyes.


And a few snapshots from the rest of the weekend: climbing up "Ewephoria" ....


Cairns, lovely little cairns, marking the trails ...


And a refreshing dip in a shady rock pool for Isis ....

6 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

I love the color and the chunky, graceful cables of your new situpon. Isis is so cute wading in the cool water. It looks like a you had a great weekend! :-)

Turtle said...

great pics as always. Such a nice time. Our weekend was quite damp-chilly in the air but fairly dry, which was good as we had last minute painting to do at the camp. (all done now :) ) Had six deer religiously show up looking for nibbles as well as 5 stray cats, they are great though and keep the mice away! Lots of leaves and a nice fresh 20# king salmon compliments of hubby and his fishing pole.

Florence said...

Really like the cables and your camping trip looked lovely.

kathy b said...

WOW. Your cables and your photography just amaze me!!!! Fantastic situpon....hate to sit it satupon

Bonnie K said...

I so enjoy reading your postings. Lovely photos, adventures, and knitting! I too like the loftiness that the cables produce...comfy and warm for sitting on.

gayle said...

I'd spend more time sitting than climbing, even without such a wonderful sit-upon. (Scared of heights, here. Or rather, scared of falling.) I'll happily let you do the incredibly-brave tall work, and I'll just enjoy your photos from here safe on the ground...