Wednesday, July 20, 2011

bit of handspun

A last wee bit of spinning to share with you from when I was still in Cambridge ...

A kind and generous friend (my brother's mother-in-law, who is also a spinner and knitter) gave me this gorgeous fleece for my birthday. It's earthy, aromatic, full of lanolin, with beautiful crimp and color variation.


As I was moving out, I would spin a bit to calm my nerves when I needed a break. I took handfuls of the fleece and combed it out with a flicker brush, keeping the fibers aligned. I then pre-drafted those handfuls of fluffy fiber.


And a-spinning I would go! I spun up one spindles-worth, then Andean plied it. This was spinning "in the grease" since I hadn't washed it yet. The fibers were sticky, but to be honest I think it made for a slower and very pleasurable (i.e. non-spindle-dropping) spinning experience.


Afterwards, I gave my yarn a bath. I heated up a pot of water, let it cool from boiling a ways, and then plunged my skein in to soak. No soap. No agitation. I was amazed at how much lanolin came off into water. So much so that that yarn lost its earthy lanolin aroma even! I think next time I might give it less of a soak.


In the end, I had a beautiful wee skein, probably about 50 yards. Lovely little reminder of those last days in my rustic Cambridge apartment.

4 comments:

kathy b said...

Great color to that cute little skein..someday I'll learn to spin.....

Florence said...

Beautiful! I want to learn to do that too one day...

Darline said...

Beautiful indeed...
Can't wait to see what you are going to make with it!

Julie said...

Very cool!! nice job.