I had a bit of yarn left over from the Katarina Cardigan. Would've been such a shame to waste it. Inexplicably, I decided to make coasters.
I cast on 8 stitches at the center and worked my way outwards on double-pointed needles, increasing 8 stitches every other row. I was hoping that it would smooth into a circle, but with such a small piece of knitting, the corners of the hexagon stand out.
For the backing, I used a few scraps of linen fabric, left over from my Cro-Magnon dress. I traced out the blocked hexagons, added an extra inch or so, sewed around the edges, turned right-side out, and zig-zagged the knitting on top.
Here's what it looks like on the bottom. I'm digging the wonky thread tension. Gives it a wabi-sabi quality. Makes me want to run my finger along it.
I like these coasters well enough, but I have to say that they took a stupid amount of time considering how small they are.