Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Green leaves, blue sky

Green leaves, backlit against a blue sky. It's one of the most lovely and peaceful views in the world.


I snapped this photo last week on a visit to Cambridge, which was a tremendously stressful and sleep-deprived trip to defend my dissertation proposal. When it was all over, and I walked out into the perfect, sun-streaming, blue sky day, I kept thinking how I wanted to forever capture that feeling of strength and harmony with the world.


I walked up to Mind's Eye Yarns, where I found the a skein of her wool/bamboo sock yarn in luminous sky blues and grass greens. I've made good progress on a pair of simple socks. When I wear them, I'll remember the beauty of that day in Cambridge.

After Cambridge, I headed up to Vermont for the weekend, where I got a good dose of family, woodsmoke, pine sap, maple syrup, cold water, lilacs, and lily of the valley. It's heavenly. So heavenly that it makes my heart hurt when I think about it.


Anyways, it's been a whirlwind few weeks of travel, and I'm looking forward to being relatively settled for a little while.

3 comments:

Turtle said...

love the pic and the sock colorway. Are you from VT?? (i was born in burlington and grew up in Ferrisburg) Miss new england summers! Lol, my mom still sends me a gallon of the familys syrup each spring.

kathy b said...

I have to agree about the green leaves and the blue sky. We haven't had many blue skies and so It is especially lovely to see on your blog. LOVE you socks that compliment the colors.

Ashley Knight said...

Well, I think your dissertation proposal was just like the sky that time, clear and beautiful! Anyway, you really know what to do after a hard work of PhD dissertation writing. Just chilling can really be what you need to relieve all the stress dissertation writing can give.