Monday, March 06, 2006

Hats!

Hats are truly my favorite thing to knit. They're a great platform for experimenting with yarn, textures, stitches, shapes. Low risk, rapid results. Over the last weekend, I finished up two. I made up the patterns on the fly, which means that neither turned out precisely as I would've dreamed. But I'm rather pleased with the results all the same.


**Red Cashmere Cabled Cap**
yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, a touch over one ball (55 g)
needles: size 5
pattern: my own

This yarn is yummy! Shows cables deliciously well, and it's a pleasure to feel running through my fingers.



**Bulky, Burgundy Ribbed Cap**
yarn: Handpaintedyarn.com's bulky handspun wool, "Burgundy", less than one skein
needles: size 7
pattern: my own

I experimented with a top-down pattern in this one, partly because I wasn't sure how long the yarn would last. Knit in stockinette at the top, then switched to ribbing (I prefer the look of a variegated yarn in ribbing, for some strange reason). When I made this again (which I will, because I love the yarn and really like how this hat feels on my head), I'll knit from the bottom and rib the entire hat. And I'm terrifically happy with this spunky star-flower!

No comments: