Wednesday, July 11, 2012

starting with the sleeves

I've started my little red sweater.  Began with the sleeves, done in the round.  They look like curious arm-warmers at the moment, but they'll grow.


My vision is to make a close-fitting cardigan with 3/4 sleeves, a preppy crew neck, and small cables flanking the button band.  If the yarn gets me that far, that is.  The sleeves may need to be shorter and the neck may need to become a v-neck.  Always a dance to see how far the yarn gets me! 

As for shoulders ... any thoughts out there about making seamless shoulders that are not raglans (which I find rather ill-fitting sometimes, and not that sharp looking)?  I'm thinking of trying to engineer SusieM's contiguous set-in sleeves method such that it can be worked bottom-up rather than top-down ... 

5 comments:

Julie said...

your sweater vision sounds fantastic, and I love that photo of you with the sleeves in the 'arm warmer' stage.

kathy b said...

So cute. YOu look adorable! HI ISIS

Z said...

Looks like it's starting out very nice. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Turtle said...

lol, only you could look adorable with part of a sweater on! Hey..... congrats on being shown off in the KNitPurl newsletter for your Vermont Shawl! :)

KiniaCat Crafts said...

Excellent picture/visual of sleeves! {grin}
I'm working on a red-yarn cardigan too (my first).
Have been having an adventure pursuing yarn on Raverly when I found I didn't have enough.
Suspect it won't be my last yarn-shortage adventure.

Can't wait to see your design!