Monday, July 23, 2012

knitting at hobo jungle

On Sunday we headed north, past Flagstaff to a new climbing area called "Hobo Jungle." It's hidden in the forest on the eastern side of the San Francisco peaks. Peaceful. Green. Drizzly in the afternoon.  Very laid back. Good for knitting.


The whole area is tucked into a subtle pine-forested valley. On the north side are the climbing crags; on the south side is a rough, rocky slope. When I needed a break from climbing I meandered up it to take some photos.  Here's looking down-valley to Sunset Crater. Can you spot Mountain Man?


He's roughly in the center .... here is he zoomed in so that you can see him victoriously waving at the top of the climb ...



I strolled half-way down the slope and caught our friend David following the climb with a fabulous heel hook.


I've been rusty with my climbing, but I was quite pleased with what I worked through on this outing. Also, equally pleased with my find of wild currants.  I felt like a bear, rumbling around the slopes, rooting around for berries.




And I was even more pleased with my knitting!  When we got back to the truck and changed for dinner, I bounded out into the trees for some progress shots.  Much of the way done with the lower body, I reckon ....



5 comments:

Jackie said...

Always love your photos and I love how the sweater is coming out! I hope you'll release a pattern for it!

Acorn to Oak said...

Looks like a great day! Your sweater looks twice as big as last time. Those berries are pretty! You can eat them?

nordwolke said...

The berries seem to have a similar colour as your sweater!

evergreenknits said...

Thanks for the sweet comments! I probably won't be doing a pattern for this. With sweaters, I'm always just making it up as I go along and tailoring things to my own body. Would be pretty hard to adapt that to a more general pattern. But I'll be sure to put up my notes when I'm done if anyone wants to improvise a similar sweater for themselves!

Susan M said...

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful sweater! Love making your Storm Cloud Shawlette!