Wednesday, August 03, 2011

granite and silk

After my knittingless backpacking trip to the Sierra, I was briefly back in Phoenix, and then it was back to Southern California, retracing my tracks across the Mohave on I-10, this time for a very knittingful climbing trip !

Here we are, reclining in the shade -- him resting, me knitting -- after a hot and sunny climb up to the summit of Tahquitz.


Nothing as lovely and peaceful as sitting in the shade of a pine tree, muscles well worked, and getting in a few rows of lace knitting.


I love the incongruity of these textures. The roughness of the granite against the lovely, luxe softness of the silk-merino yarn ....


The yarn, by the way, is a fingering weight silk/wool from Henry's Attic (used to be called "Silk and Ivory"). I dyed it with cochineal waaay back in 2007. It was one of my early natural dyeing experiments, back when I was living in Vermont. How time flies!

7 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

Florence said...

Sounds like a fun time and relaxing!

~M said...

Wow! I love it! The hike and the knitting. Great job with the color-way...what took so long to use it, LOL!?! Cheers! ~M

KnitBee said...

Wonderful pictures and a gorgeous knitting ;o)
♥ greetings Bine

Bonnie K said...

Love the subtle colors and the contrast of textures between the granite and the silk/merino. Glad to see you knitting again!

Suzi Musse said...

hello

I loved your blog.
your works are beautiful.
I could not resist and bought the recipe for Vermont shawl. Wonderful.
Congratulations.

hugs

kathy b said...

lovely knitting ...the lace in the shawl is so pretty ..
I'd be passed out after your workout! not knitting. You are smiling away!