Monday, March 14, 2011

little bit of lushness

Early spring has finally arrived. It's earthy, dreary, chilly, damp, but altogether lush-feeling to us winter-weary creatures. The ducks have patches of open water to swim through ...


We humans can be out and about with lighter jackets and a playful spring in our step ... hee hee


(Although hats are still welcome! Just in time for the brisk March weather, I whipped up some semi-matching hats for Mountain Man and me. The yarn is the yummy woolen-spun sportweight Cormo from Elsa Wool. His hat is a Cambridge Watchcap. Mine is a Rivendell.)


Best of all, the earliest flowers are beginning to grow out of the thawing earth and tentatively stretch out their petals. Witch hazel. Crocus. Snowdrops.


We went for a walk around Elizabeth Park yesterday and were delighted to come across the spring flower show. I remember this every year -- the excitement of stepping out of a cold, drizzly March landscape and into the warmth, color, and fragrance of the greenhouse.


Talk about lush! I was in rapture: daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, pansies, petunias ...


and will definitely be trying to carry this color through the week!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I can't believe you already have flowers, that's incredible!! those hats are too cute.

kathy b said...

I dont know what makes me smile more the flowers or the twitterpated husband kissing his wife!

Robin V said...

Oh! Those spring flowers are gorgeous, they give me hope!

Karma said...

The flowers are beautiful, but the love between you two is a joy to see. Miss you lady!

Terri

Acorn to Oak said...

The flowers are so pretty and I bet all that color is a treat for the eyes during all the gray and white of winter. :-)