Monday, June 14, 2010

roadtrip

Mountain Man and I took ourselves on a wee roadtrip adventure last week: climbing in Southern California, drinking lattes in L.A., camping in the desert northeast of Las Vegas, taking in the beauty of Zion and the Grand Canyon, hiking in Flagstaff, and finally descending home into the heat of the low desert.

Joshua Trees at dawn

As you can imagine, with that much driving, there was much knitting. I finished a secret and substantial project on the drive to L.A., and after that I worked on an experimental shawl in fawn alpaca.


Knitting at the Grand Canyon

During the trip, I felt like I was bursting with scenes and stories to share, but now that I'm back, those thoughts have quieted down. What I'm really left with is a strong impression of the desert color palette - blue sky, pink rocks, green vegetation - and a sense of peacefulness. I'd like to be better at "unplugging" like that even when I'm home.

Colorado River from the Navajo Bridge

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Yeah, I'm thinking you found yourselves a great spot or two! Love the picture of you knitting over the Grand Canyon...I must admit whenever I see images like this, my mind goes to Ed Abbey and then I smile! ;)

Acorn to Oak said...

Sounds like a great trip! I'm from SoCal and my husband and I met in Josha Tree...rock climbing. We're on a trip now to some great desert places. Zion is one of my favorite places on earth and we usually go there at least once a year. There are so many great desert places to see! Can't wait to see your knitting projects. :-)

alisa said...

take me with you.

nordwolke said...

Awesome pictures. Knitting at the Grand Canyon is wow. ;)