I've decided to stay the course, for the moment. I'm making good progress on the lace shawl, and I've realized that, until I try the dress on again in July, any new shawl would be beleaguered by the same uncertainty. Here's the current state of the lace:
Note: the animal pictured above is Mountain Man's dog (husky-yellow lab mix, for scale). She was laying in the one remaining patch of morning sun and was kind enough to move out of the way a bit so that I could photograph my lace.